Tuesday, February 9, 2016
Tonight I read...1 Samuel 17
As you can see or easily figure out, some days I don't read and some days I read but don't post. Thus we've skipped several days and a few chapters and tonight I'm posting about 1 Samuel 17. This chapter, which includes David's defeat of Goliath, is filled with many lessons. I'm sure that, like me, you've heard countless sermons preached from this chapter. What struck me as I read it this time is how David's humility and obedience put him in a position for God to use him. We find David going back and forth between his father's home, where he helped care for the sheep, and Israel's army, where he took supplies to the army. On one particular trip, David had taken the supplies his father told him to take and was seeking out his brothers when he heard Goliath's challenge. His faithful service as a "lowly" shepherd had provided him opportunities to fight lions and bears, experiences he shared with King Saul to convey his readiness to fight Goliath. Had he resisted his father's instructions, he would not have heard Goliath's challenge. We like David must be faithful over every task, large or small, that God entrusts to us. We never know but that He might be preparing us to defeat our own Goliath.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment