Saturday, April 17, 2010

Spreading the Gospel

As I was leaving the concert hall tonight, a man was standing on a step ladder in the grass preaching. I heard someone comment, "I can't believe they let him do that!" But to me that was a positive comment because it means she heard what he was saying. Was what he was doing right? Definitely. Was his method unorthodox? Perhaps. Was there anything wrong with it? I'm still thinking on that one but my initial answer is no.

Think about the places Jesus preached. The Sermon on the Mount was presumably preached on a mount. :-) When he fed the 4,ooo and the 5,ooo, they were in a field or by a lake...or in a field by a lake. In Acts 1, I think the disciples were preaching in the public square. And didn't John the Baptist preach in the desert? This is interesting; I'll have to look at the venues of some Bible sermons. But back to my topic.

Step Ladder Man (SLM) is a bold witness for Christ. I like that. I need to be that. SLM is taking the message outside the walls of the church to more of the people who need to hear it. Sometimes I think we don't do enough of that.

As I listened to him, I thought of the verse that says the Word will not return void. Later I thought of the verse about the Holy Spirit bringing things to our remembrance. I often think that for those who have been to church or otherwise heard the gospel but haven't been saved or have strayed away, a line of a song or a fragment of a familiar verse is enough to start them on their journey (back) to Christ. That's why I think even if no one stopped to listen to all SLM had to say, what someone heard in passing was exactly what they needed to hear.

I said a prayer for him and for all the passersby who would hear him. I gave him a thumbs-up and smiled as I walked to my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment