Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

Today is supposed to be a happy day. And in a way it is. Though my memories of my dad are few, they are filled with activity and laughter and fun. And so today I thank God for my daddy and the ten years he was in my life. But I can't think about my dad and me without thinking of other dads and children. First is David of course. As little as I recall, he probably remembers less since he was only six years old when daddy died. I hope he has some happy memories as I do. Next I think of Kelly. She was an adult when her dad died, but it saddens her to think of all he is missing in her life as it continues without him here. Then I think of Denise, who knows who her dad is but has no relationship with him. I wonder how often they see each other and what that is like for her. I think of Eric, who met his dad only twice and probably doesn't know or care to know where he is. I think of Lee, who has probably never met her dad and perhaps never will. I think of Mel and the hurtful things done by her dad to their family. I think of Lawrence, whose son died just a few weeks ago. Certainly there are many people whose Father's Day will be happy, and for that I am grateful. But the focus of my thoughts and prayers right now is those who may not have a happy Father's Day.

Keeping with the theme of this blog, where is "God speaking" in all this? First, for those of us who had Godly fathers, I am thankful for them and their influence in our lives, which we feel even if we can't list specific things they taught us. Also, we miss them but we see God's love and faithfulness as He comforts us. As it says in 2 Corinthians 1:3, 4: "All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us." There is God speaking again! He comforts us "so that we can comfort others." So those of us who know what it's like not to have a father should perhaps look around and see what we can do for another who hasn't a father.

God bless those people who step in and become like a father to those who don't have one. Whether it is a relative, a family friend, someone from church, or even someone who starts out as a stranger (e.g. a Big Brother), thank you for these people who see a need and seek to fill it.

Some of our earthly fathers chose not to be a part of our lives; others were taken by circumstances beyond their control. Whatever the reason they are not with us, our heavenly Father is different. He is always with us and always will be. He states it unequivocally in Joshua 1:5: "I will not leave you nor forsake you."

For those who are saved, our sadness should remind us that this world is only temporary. Our true home is in God's eternal presence and that's what we're looking forward to. Romans 8:18 says, "Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will reveal to us later." Actually, read through verse 25. Good stuff!

Finally, for those who aren't saved, some of them figure that if a heavenly Father is going to be like their earthly father, they don't need Him. My prayer for them is that they will come to know God the Father, His love, and how much better life is with Him in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment