Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Every One Matters

What is the price of two sparrows--one copper coin? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it. Matthew 10:29 NLT

Yes, I know "everyone" is a normally a compound word, but I separated it on purpose just this once. Every one of us, each person matters to God. Because we are striving to be like Him, people should matter to us too. Certainly our friends and family matter to us. Probably so do the people at church and maybe our co-workers. But what about the cashier in the fast food drive thru or the person who delivers our mail? What about the person who asked for our spare change or the one who cut in front of us in traffic? What about that person who gets on our last nerve, the one we go out of our way to avoid? What about that person whose skin is a different color, the one who speaks a different language - whether down the block or on a differeng continent? Every one matters.

I've run across a couple of interesting efforts in this vein that I want to share. The first one is The Homicide Report, a blog on the Los Angeles Times web site. Check out the story that was broadcast on NPR's All Things Considered to learn more. Secondly, I know someone who gets the Department of Defense news releases via email. When a soldier's death is reported, she searches online, hoping to find a photo of the soldier or an article about him or her. Also, she says a prayer for those the soldier left behind.

Each effort is making note that these lost lives matter. One seeks to make people aware while the other is more personal. I was touched by both. And while I appreciate what is being done, I can't help but think that we must find ways to let people know that they matter while they're still alive. But how do we do that? First, we can pray. This is how we can impact people near and far, individually and collectively. Next, we can be attentive to the leading of the Holy Spirit and willing to follow His lead. While you may be destined for an audience the size of the L. A. Times readership, it may be that the smile you offer someone is just what they need, the first bright spot in their day.

One last thing: be kind to yourself. You matter too. Love others as you love yourself, remember?

No comments:

Post a Comment